Feel the historical power of the Krokar Primeval Forest
An unforgettable adventure for everyone who loves to enjoy nature. Nearby the Krokar primeval forest, where life is left to the laws of nature, you will feel its historical power and be overcome by the original form of nature and feel inspired by new energy. Spend an active day filled with learning.
Program duration: 1 day
Season: April - October
Difficulty: moderately demanding
Suitable for: nature lovers, families with older children, couples, smaller groups (minimal number of people: 2, maximal number of people: 10)
Mandatory equipment: good hiking boots
- you will start your adventure in Kočevska Reka, where the guide will present you the program,
- you will get to see the thickest walnut tree in Slovenia,
- you will drive to the village of Borovec,
- you will take a walk along the Borovec nature trail,
- you will get to admire the Kolpa valley and the Krokar primeval forest,
- you will learn about the primeval forest and its inhabitants,
- photography lovers will be able to take great shots of nature and landscape,
- after the hike, you will have time for lunch and rest,
- you will continue along the Eagle Trail and end the day at the White-tailed Eagle observation point.
The adventure begins in Kočevska Reka, the central village of the valley. It was settled in the 14th century by farmers from Germany and Tyrol, who began to leave the area due to unfavorable economic conditions at the end of the 19th century, but completely abandoned it in the period before and after the Second World War. In the decades after the war, Kočevska Reka was part of a closed area, so the landscape in its surroundings remained well preserved, with the nature remaining untouched. Today, Kočevska Reka is known for the thickest walnut tree in Slovenia and an artificial lake below the village. The lake and the surrounding forest have both been declared a forest reserve and represent an important natural habitat, where one of the few surviving specimens of the white-tailed eagle nests. Special observation points have been set up to observe this rare bird.
After a short drive, you will reach the village of Borovec, and walk along the Borovec nature trail to a lookout point that offers a beautiful view of the Kolpa valley on one side and the Krokar primeval forest on the other. There you will be amazed by the inner peace and quietness offered by the centuries-old giants. Such an amazing feeling can only be awakened by these centuries-old trees, animals, and pristine nature, that has been creating its laws for millennia. The guide will take you along the Borovška nature trail, where a view of the primeval forest opens up. During a few hours of hiking, the guide will share and explain many interesting facts and stories about the surrounding area, the primeval forest, and its inhabitants. He will also share locations of hidden spots in our mystical forest where photography lovers can shoot some memorable pictures.
After the hike, it will be time for a delicious lunch at the nearby hunting lodge, which is also known as a very good restaurant. After lunch, you will have time for a short rest, and then continue your adventure along the Eagle Trail, which will take you along the Lake Kočevska Reka and reveal the characteristics and life of the White-tailed Eagle. You will end the adventurous day at one of the observation points and with some luck, you might even spot one of the eagles.
2 people - 140 €/person
3 people - 110 €/person
4-8 people - 90 €/person
The price includes:
- guidance by a local tourist guide
- presentation of primeval forests in Kočevsko and their importance, with an emphasis on the UNESCO Krokar Primeval Forest
- all transportation in destination as part of the program
- lunch that includes local ingredients
Contact and inquiries:
The program is just a proposal that can be adapted to your requests For more info and inquiries, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we will be happy to help you.
We look forward to your visit to Kočevsko, the Secret Forest of Slovenia.