An unforgettable adventure for everyone who loves to enjoy nature. Nearby the Krokar primeval forest, where life is left to the laws of nature, you will feel its historical power and be overcome by the original form of nature and feel inspired by new energy. Spend an active day filled with learning.
Program duration: 6 hours
Season: April - October
Difficulty: moderately demanding
Suitable for: nature lovers, families with children, couples, smaller groups (2 - 10 people)
Mandatory equipment: good hiking boots
- you will start your adventure in Kočevska Reka, where the guide will present you the program,
- you will get to see the thickest walnut tree in Slovenia,
- you will drive to the village of Borovec,
- you will take a walk along the Borovec nature trail,
- you will get to admire the Kolpa valley and the Krokar primeval forest,
- you will learn about the primeval forest and its inhabitants,
- photography lovers will be able to take great shots of nature and landscape
- after the hike you will enjoy in a forest picnic with local delicacies.
The adventure begins in Kočevska Reka, the central village of the valley. It was settled in the 14th century by farmers from Germany and Tyrol, who began to leave the area due to unfavorable economic conditions at the end of the 19th century, but completely abandoned it in the period before and after the Second World War. In the decades after the war, Kočevska Reka was part of a closed area, so the landscape in its surroundings remained well preserved, with the nature remaining untouched. Today, Kočevska Reka is known for the thickest walnut tree in Slovenia and an artificial lake below the village. The lake and the surrounding forest have both been declared a forest reserve and represent an important natural habitat, where one of the few surviving specimens of the white-tailed eagle nests.
After a short drive, you will reach the village of Borovec, the starting point of Borovec nature trail that offers a beautiful view of the Kolpa valley on one side and the Krokar primeval forest on the other. There you will be amazed by the inner peace and quietness offered by the centuries-old giants. Such an amazing feeling can only be awakened by these centuries-old trees, animals, and pristine nature, that has been creating its laws for millennia, without direct human interventions. Local guide will share and explain many interesting facts and stories about the surrounding area, the primeval forest, and its inhabitants. They will also share locations of hidden spots in our secret forest where photography lovers can take some memorable pictures.
After returning to the starting point of the hike, a picnic basket will be waiting for you. Before concluding your experience, you will enjoy a forest picnic of local delicacies.
2 people - 100 €/person
3 people - 80 €/person
4-8 people - 60 €/person
The price includes:
- guidance by a local tourist guide
- presentation of primeval forests in Kočevsko and their importance, with an emphasis on the UNESCO Krokar Primeval Forest
- transportation in destination as part of the program
- forest picnic of local delicacies
Contact and inquiries:
T: +386 31 544 744