Enjoy in home-made delicacies at Kostel Castle, with a view overlooking the Kolpa valley! With lush forests and small villages below you, you will rest your mind and body in the shelter of the castle walls and treat your taste buds to a dance of various flavors. You will get to try delicious products from nearby farms, refresh yourself with natural juice or the best water by far, which is bottled just a stone's throw away from the castle. The youngest ones can get distracted by assembling miniatures of Kostel sights or by painting pebbles, while you get to lounge on comfortable deckchairs. We assure you: you might arrive a little tired, but you will leave like a king!
Program duration: 1 hour
Season: January - December
Suitable for: families with children, couples, smaller groups
- a local guide will tell you about the history of Kostel Castle*,
- you will get to know the stories experienced by many castle owners over the seven centuries,
- you will see the exhibition(s) in the restored part of the castle,
- you will relax on deck chairs at the highest point of the castle and enjoy in the view of the Kolpa valley and the surrounding forests,
- in the shelter of the castle, surrounded by of half-collapsed mighty walls, you will taste local delicacies (homemade bread, organically produced cheese, homemade salami) or take them with you in a basket and taste them on the banks of the Kolpa.
A guide will be waiting for you at the entrance to the castle at a pre-arranged time. He will briefly present the history of the castle, which has been watching over Kolpa for seven centuries and take you around the castle complex. He will tell you about some of the inhabitants who live in the nearby vast surrounding forests, reveal some typical Kostel dishes, present the green beauty of the Kolpa River. After a guided tour, he will hand you the basket of delicacies, containing about 300 g of homemade salami, about 400 g of various types of organically produced cheese, fresh bread baked by a housewife from Kostel, apple juice (4x0.2 l) and water eCostella (4x0.5 l). Don't worry, the cutting board is also included in the basket! In the open space of the castle surrounded by half-collapsed old walls, you will get to taste local delicacies. After the picnic, you can enjoy the view from the highest part of the castle, where deckchairs are waiting for you on wooden platforms. Children can try coloring pebbles, which adorn the banks of the Kolpa River or try to make a watermill or a wooden boat. We suggest cooling off and walking to the nearby Gorenja Žaga or Zavrtke, where you can just soak your feet or jump into the green river beauty. You can also go on a walk on the Path of Mikul's Devil and get to know the rich local natural and cultural heritage. You can receive your picnic package in an eco bag instead of the basket and taste local delicacies on the banks of the Kolpa River. In this case, bring your own knife. The castle picnic basket can only be eaten in the castle by those who pay the entrance fee to visit the castle, while the rest can take it elsewhere in an ecological bag.
39 EUR (for 4 people)
The price includes:
- picnic (salami, organically produced cheese, loaf of bread, apple juice (4x0,2 l), eCostella water (4x0,5 l), cutting board),
- use of deck chairs,
- *guided tour of the castle Kostel (extra charge),
- *viewing of exhibitions (extra charge).
- A: vegetarian package (walnut 'sausage' OR homemade jam and honey, cheese, bread loaf , 4 x 0.2 l apple juice, 4 x 0.5 l eCostella water),
- B: purchase of drinks (local beer, apple juice, Kostel spirit) and food at the entrance to the castle,
- C: ordering various types of Castle picnic basket, namely: superior (regular basket + 2 beers Grad (Castle); price: 43 EUR) or deluxe (regular + 1 x Sparkling wine No1).
Contact and inquiries:
The castle picnic basket must be ordered in advance by calling +386 (0) 51 328 682.